But the leaves were so beautiful they had to be shown, they had to be shared.
Have you ever wondered at the colours of the autumn leaves? HAve you ever looked so closely to see the different colours of each individual leaf?
The Perfect Leaf by Andrew Plant will help you to see the wonder that is nature.
Each leaf that falls to the ground during autumn is so different – whether it be in colour, shapes or texture. Whether is is damaged, unmarked or broken – each leaf tells a different story.
In The Perfect Leaf, two girls meet and play. They search for the most perfect leaf of gold, red and crimson. They dive deep, throw leaves into the air and swim around in search of the most perfect leaf there could ever be.
But soon they discover that nothing is perfect and that everything can be beautiful – we just have to look at it in the right way.
The Perfect Leaf explores not only the beauty of nature but also friendship and love. It explores the idea that nothing in this world is perfect and everything has flaws – but these flaws don’t have to be a negative thing, they can be something that makes an object or a person even better.
The Perfect Leaf is a lovely book to share as the seasons change and we start to crunch through the leaves on the ground. It is one that will help you to discuss why we shouldn’t strive for perfection but instead strive for what makes us truly happy.
So what else can you do with this book?
- Explore the changes in leaves over the seasons.
- Explore different shapes of leaves around your home and learning areas.
- Get outside during those cold winter months and find beauty despite the lack of colour and warmth. See what grows in winter and ponder why.
- Explore symmetry through leaves
- Explore the adjectives used throughout the book to describe leaves. Write your own description of a leaf.
- What is perfection?
- Can something be perfect?
Teacher notes: http://fordstreetpublishing.com/ford/images/stories/teachers_notes/The-Perfect-Leaf-Teachers-Notes.pdf
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS WHERE WE EXPLORE BIG ISSUES AND HOW TO BEST TALK ABOUT THEM WITH KIDS.